Thursday, November 13, 2008

Parenting Advice?!?

Sandy left a comment on my last blog asking for parenting tips. After I stopped laughing and picked myself up off the floor, here's what I came up with so far:

1. Rejoice in the small things.
Anything from "Hey! He said a new word today" to "Well, at least he didn't puke on the carpet!" (usually the latter ones are the situations I most rejoice in)

2. Have a sense of humor
see above

3. Have lots of kids
If you have two kids and one becomes a miscreant, you have a 50% failure record as a parent. If you have six and one heads south, your failure record is only 17%.

4. Make those kiddies work!
A two year old can help throw stuff on the washing machine, pull stuff out of a grocery bag, etc. The sooner they get used to helping, the better.

5. Ask for help (did I say that?)
Forget about parenting books from people who only have one kid and a degree from Harvard. Ask your friends what worked/didn't work for them. Remember, there is nothing new under the sun; there have been other moms who's kids have run pant-less down the street in broad daylight (not that... mine...ever did...)

Well that's it for now. I'll post more after cocktail hour nap time, if I think of any.

Bo, any contributions?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about....dont take your self too seriously....your kids surely wont!

Anonymous said...

I definitely agree with the sense of humor item.

Here are my contributions:

1) The degree to which you criticize other people's parenting skills is the degree your own children will make you look like a total buffoon in front of those very same people.

2) Make an effort to teach your children about God and his Word. It will help them (and you) mature.

3) Children will behave childishly. That's why they're called children. Don't take it personally and don't discipline them for it unless it devolves into insubordination.

4) Always support your spouse and present a united front in the presence of your children. Remember, your spouse will be at your side long after the children have left the house to live their own lives.

GE is me said...

Bo, awesome comments. #3 hit hard w/me. Patience level running low, snapping at everyone & expecting them to be a bit more intelligent?, use common sense than they have been. Thus #2 comes into play. All day God has been going, uh huh & I don't have to repeat things to you a gazillion times either, right!?!
AAARRRRGGGHHH!!!!! Why can't WE all just listen & get along nicely???
I also liked the success/failure rate. Some of us don't have any other options though. But, you also have to look at who failed, the parent or the child. 'Cuz we all know regardless of age we all have a free will & choice.
-Gail

TLC said...

I love this blog!!! Yeah! The wit, the humor, the "take on life" is inspiring. Keep it up! :)

Pegsy said...

I just arrived on your blog for the first time, through Gail's blog. I loved this post! I was laughing so much my husband actually muted the hockey game on T.V. to say "What?" #3 was my favourite! I'm one of those moms with only two, so I know what it's like to feel like I'm failing 50% of the time! LOL! Thanks for making me laugh!