Saturday, December 19, 2009

Spend All You Have For Loveliness....

I love Rice Krispie Treats. Really, I could live on them. You know that Woody Allen movie "Sleeper" where he finds out 200 years in the future that coffee and cigarettes are actually good for you? This is my fantasy for Rice Krispie Treats.

It so happens that I am not the only one to have this "love that nutritionally dare not speak its name". I was flipping through an old copy of Gourmet magazine and found this recipe*. It combines Rice Krispie Treats, chocolate and coffee - some of my favorite things! And because I'm that peace and love to the world type of girl, I'm going to share it with all of you. Shall we get on the road to loveliness?


Chocolate Marshmallow Squares with Espresso Ganache
(from Gourmet magazine 12/2006)

for ganache
5 oz fine quality bittersweet chocolate (no more than 60% cacao if marked), chopped
3 oz fine quality bittersweet chocolate (70%0 cacao), chopped
3/4 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons Tia Maria, Kahlua or other coffee flavored liqueur
1 tablespoon instant espresso powder or instant coffee granules

for marshmallow squares
1/4 lb marshmallows (15 large marshmallows or 2 cups small)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (I use Drost in the red box)
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 cups Rice Krispies

to make ganache
Melt chocolates with cream, liqueur, and espresso powder in a metal bowl set over simmering water, whisking occasionally until smooth, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand at room temperature until thickened, about 2 hours.

to make marshmallow squares:
1. Spray a cookie sheet with non stick spray.
2. Melt marshmallows and butter with sugar, cocoa powder, and salt in a 2 1/2 to 3 quart heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently, until smooth, 3 to 5 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and gently stir in the cereal. Transfer to cookie sheet pressing evenly with dampened fingers. Cool to room temperature, about 20 minutes. Cut sheet in half.
4. Spread some ganache on one of the half sheets. Top with other half. Cut the sheet into bite sized squares. Reheat ganache gently to loosen and drizzle on top of the squares.
5. Let stand until set, about 15 minutes.


NOTES:
1. for the chocolate ganache, 8 oz of Hershey's Dark chocolate works fine.
2. I've found you need to double the marshmallow square recipe to deal with all the ganache.
3. Do not use old marshmallows. Believe it or not, these sugar bombs need to be fresh to avoid the krispies being brick hard


There you have it! Love in a pan!


*that I was looking through old cooking magazines is a blog for another day - I have many, many issues

2 comments:

Samantha said...

mmmmm.... sounds delicious! If it wasn't crazy out I would go back out and get the stuff to make this, but it is crazy out and I am locking myself inside and not going out til Monday... if that...

Anonymous said...

I was fortunate enough to be able to actually eat a couple of these Rice Krispy Treats recently and they were the best I ever tasted...by far. Thanks treats and for the recipe!

Dan