Tuesday, April 08, 2008

More Mariah Moments

I've been having quite a laugh with everyone's Mariah moment. I'm kind of thinkin' I should send some of these to her but she's in Paris (is there e-mail in Paris or is that too American?)

A good friend of mine in college graduated with Debbie Gibson, so we got to commiserate from time to time. Also in college, I mentioned that I had gone to school with her, and two women in the room asked me where, and when I said Harborfields, they asked if I knew Rachel Fenderson (they had played basketball with her)... Someone who was in a show with me found out about my connection, and the very next thing he said was, "So, was she a bitch in high school?" (This guy once had Jim Breuer walk all over his laundry, which he had dropped on the sidewalk, and he then proceeded to tell him off, adding, "and you sucked when you were on SNL!" - much to the amusement of the female SNL costar walking with him.).

But you should all check out this past week's episode from the NPR show "Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me":
http://www.npr.org/templates/rundowns/rundown.php?prgId=35&prgDate=03-29-2008&view=storyviewand click on the "Listen to show" link at the top. If you don't want to listen to the full show, just fast forward to the Bluff the Listener segment (about 11-12 minutes in). I think you'll like it. --Dennis

(Listen to the NPR bit and then you can be in the know about the following)

Here is a fierce grizzly bear in the wild.










Studies have shown that soft soothing music can turn even the wildest beast docile.








A little "Vision of Love" has turned our fierce bear into a more loving, peaceful member of the planet









In 1992 (pre-boob job [I'm talking about Mariah, not me]), I was student-teaching in the Boston Public Schools. There was a 16-year-old student in choir who was smart yet annoying (I heard every day about her "hanging out" with the guys from New Kids...yeah, I wouldn't have bragged about it either). Anyhoo, she was a huge Mariah fan.
One day she came into class & excitedly showed me her latest purchase, a Mariah songbook. She was going to learn every last one of those songs on the piano. The next day, she called me over to the piano - "Miss! Miss!" (They never used names, only "Miss" or "Mr.".) She played the first 4 bars of the first song. Then she played the first 4 bars of the next song. After a few songs, she said, "Oh, my God! They all sound the same!" It was a very gratifying moment. --Zoe

(In all fairness Zoe, even Mozart sounds a little repetitive sometimes....)
Well, that's all for now.

No comments: