Sunday, May 09, 2010

Mother's Day, partie deux


This is my second girl. She's a force to be reckoned with.













I think she was born 20 years old. Here she is taking part in a three way conversation with the neighbor ladies. Note the ease in which the baby is on her hip. Just like a pro.








She says what she means and she means what she says. So I'm not surprised when I find notes like this on my basement door:


Bo Hunkmeister was the one to point out the syntax to me. She doesn't say "Don't go downstairs" or "No Moms allowed"  She says, "All persons who are not mothers" And I love the stickie note that's attached to it. Is that a Freudian slip? Was there a coup d'etat that I didn't know about? I thought I was the management.

Then she writes the essay below in her Sunday School class. Every year the teachers ask the kids to write an essay about why they love their moms. Then the powers that be (rumor has it that it's Price Waterhouse) pick three to read aloud to the congregation, and the mom and child get a gift certificate to Friendly's (sweet!). This year I was told that Princess Git Er Done's essay was picked and we were to make sure we were in church this Sunday.

So here we are during the church services and Princess Git Er Done finds me in the pews, sits down and starts crying.
"What's wrong?" I ask, alarmed that she's losing it and we going to be in front of everyone in two minutes.
"I was having fun in Kid's Church and they told me I had to come sit with you!" she weeps.

Ruh Roh.

I guess they didn't let the kids in on the surprise. I tell her about the essay and gift card and when she realizes what's going on, starts furiously wiping the tears away to be ready for her close up, Mr. DeMille.

Here's what she wrote:

I love my mom 'cause she is the one who can understand my girl feelings. And if I stray from the path that Jesus wants me to follow she corrects me. She is my comfort, my soul and deep joy. And I respect her because she is the human being that God placed on this earth to take care of me and comfort me. It's not just me she takes care of, she is a great comfort to my father who also takes care of me. That's why I love my mom.

Bo had the tissues ready when I got back to the pew. I think the best gift a mother could get is the knowledge that of all our faults in child rearing, the important stuff is getting through.

4 comments:

Maria said...

Wow. I think princess Git 'Er Done is following in Mommy's footsteps when it comes down to writing abilities.

The Domestic Goddess said...

Awww, thanks Maria. She certainly takes after me in the "What? Who says I'm not in charge?!?" department.

Bo said...

All things considered, it was an auspicious start to "Holy Week"

For the uninitiated, Holy Week is the seven day celebration that begins with Mother's Day and culminates with the Domestic Goddess' birthday. It's like Mardi Gras without the hangover.

GE is me said...

except this year 'holy week' is about a week & a half. I was wondering what was wrong with her. I was supposing she was nervous about going up there. She done ya proud. I was crying. :)