Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Good Reading

There hasn't been much to write about (that means nothing has gotten my ire up recently). However, I did recently read two very good books:
Not a Genuine Black Man: Or, How I Claimed My Piece of Ground in the Lily-White Suburbs
Not a Genuine Black Man: Or, How I Claimed My Piece of Ground in the Lily-White Suburbs by Brian Copeland
Very interesting book on race relations in California. I thought the West Coast was a little more progressive than us stodgey folks in New England but I guess stupidity can be a national past time. Made me laugh and cry all within one chapter.

Shockwave : Countdown to Hiroshima
Shockwave : Countdown to Hiroshima by Stephen Walker
Very interesting (notice a trend here?) book that documents the countdown to using the bomb. I thought is was a very evenhanded approach (nobody is the obvious villian/hero perhaps because this was written by an Englishman). Its amazing how decisions are made regarding people's lives.

I know I mentioned "To Hell With That: Loving and Loathing Our Inner Housewife" by Caitlin Flanagan in a previous blog but the interview with the author in World magazine turned out to be more interesting than the book itself. Although I did like the line about family dinners neccessitating a family who is unambitious enough to be all hanging around the house at 5:30 pm every day.

Right now on the old side table by the bed is a book on the history of the Pill and "The Mommy Brain: How Motherhood Makes Us Smarter" by Katherine Ellison. I thought I'd let the two books duke it out.

Any one of the above books are available at your local library, one of my favorite places. I swear if they served coffee there, I'd never leave.

Feel free to leave some book recommendations of your own.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I haven't read any good books as of late, nor do I have my own blog. So may I please use yours since something did get my ire up yesterday??? JAYWALKING!!! Not that I am against it as I have done it myself in the past & will continue to do so in the future.

However do we have to be RUDE about it??? I'm coming to a green light to make a right turn & here in the middle of the crosswalk are about a half dozen teenage boys(punks). Or so I thought. Lucky for them the light turned red & I had to stop. Otherwise I probably would've been laying on my horn.
So they finish walking across the intersection, traffic goes & I can make my right turn on red. Well, as I do I see a man probably in his 40's or 50's with these young boys. (A teacher maybe?) I was so cheesed off I needed to call my mother & vent on her. (And as you can see my undies are still in a bunch about it!)
So back to my first statement. I know you grew up in NYC where jaywalking is incredibly prevelant. But please could we just have some manners about crossing the street?? Vehicles are much larger than pedestrians & not as easily stopped. There is nothing more annoying to me than when I have to stop for someone crossing against a green light.
Thanks, I feel a bit better. And if I was ever one of those rude people who held up traffic because I had to jaywalk, I'm incredibly sorry. -Gail

C, C, N & E said...

We don't have a public library here. boo-hoo. I'm making do with Robinson Crusoe, borrowed from the English dept. at Chad's university. But I have to say, I'm liking it.
umm, when do you have time to read anyway?