Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Be a Man

So I was coming out of the grocery store with my three boys yesterday when we saw a blue sports car with two teen boys in it. Not just any sports car but the type that are geared up for street racing. Then up rolls this yellow sports car (same definition) which pauses in front of the blue, rev's it's engine and rolls away. Apparently, unbeknownst to me, this is an insult in the teen guy gear head world. No sooner than we reach our van (a sweet ride in my book) then the blue car rolls by the yellow, now parked, rev's it's engine and the boys inside throw out a few choice words just to make the insult complete.

Now my little, impressionable boys are witness to the testosterone meltdown and I thought to myself, these teens think they're being men. What do I tell my boys about how to be men? I consider the Bo Hunkmeister to be a manly man; what is it about Bo that makes me think he's a man without him having to rev his car (if he had a sports car to rev). So I decided to tell my boys this; you get yourself a good, respectable woman, if you can show the strength, courage and smarts to ride that crazy rollercoaster known as the female psyche and still have her love you at the end of the day. Then you, my son, will be a man.

6 comments:

By Design for Women said...

Excellent teaching in the teachable moment!

Gpa G said...

Amen!

Kelly said...

True, but it's a lot easier to rev a sportscar!

JT said...

Your metaphor reminds me of why I am afraid of rollercoasters. However, I applaud the attempt.

Bill Parmentier said...

Well said...

Anonymous said...

So rev'ing your car engine doesn't impress women? What about going 0 to 60 with squealing tires just because the traffic light turned green? How about playing your stereo so loud the bass rattles dental fillings in the car behind even if their windows are closed? Surely wearing your pants so low that your underwear is plainly visible across the street is effective. These are all supposed to be sure fire techniques to impress women and instill fear in other males.