Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Wow......

I went to my 20th High School reunion. Actually, I was too cheap to go to the actual reunion so I went to a party my friend was hosting the next day. I had a lovely time and my heartfelt thanks go out to not only our hostess but my husband who spent the entire time keeping our 18 month old from trashing the joint while I socialized like someone who's been in a closet for the past year.
The party was all at once weird and wonderful. It was weird because everyone looked different yet familiar. It was wonderful to see with what ease everyone got along despite a 20 year absence. I told my husband it was like getting together with siblings I wasn't actually related to. Actually, better because I don't have any memories of my classmates getting me in trouble with Mom. The only difficult part was watching the old prom video. I'm sure a psychoanalyst would explain my cringing was the result of unacknowleged vanity. Or maybe despair at the lost of those cool dance moves.
Anyway, for those of you TFTD'ers tuning in, I have some questions that I didn't get a chance to ask. Seeing as how its my blog, I'll answer first.

1. Are you doing what you thought you would be doing?
Through high school, I envisioned being married and having a business career. Kids didn't really enter the picture. Now I'm out populating most of Italy.

2. What's the coolest thing you've done or have happened to you so far?
Outside of the obvious (ruggedly handsome husband and cherubic children), I think the coolest thing that's happed to me was getting my name in the acknowlegements of a published book.

3. At this point, we're all pushing 40 (gasp!), name something you want to do before you die.
Travel, only not like the flat broke college student I was when I first had the opportunity, or write a book.

4. Dunkin' Donuts or Starbucks?
Dunkin' when I'm with the kids, Starbucks when its just me.

Hope you all had a safe trip home!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the blog! I had no idea you lived in Rhode Island - we're neighbors! Sorry I could not make the reunion brunch, but I also have an 18-month old (minus the four siblings), and I didn't think he'd be up for the trip. But here are some answers:
1. Are you doing what you thought you would be doing? --I had no clue what I would be doing, but I'd say no. I figured I'd have some kind of arts in my life, but the closest thing is the Sesame Street CD on the way to day care.
2. What's the coolest thing you've done or have happened to you so far? --Outside the same as you (rugged husband and cherubic child), Climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro
3. At this point, we're all pushing 40 (gasp!), name something you want to do before you die. --Well, I've already climbed Kilimanjaro, so I'll say I'd like to go 364 days without seeing any kind of pediatrician. The last 18 months have been a little bit of a challenge.
4. Dunkin' Donuts or Starbucks? --
Lots of donuts! No coffee.

Anonymous said...

Same Dawn, same sense of humor--I love it!
1. Am I doing what I thought I'd be doing? Yes; I thought I'd follow in my father's footsteps and be a college professor at a very young age. I had some detours along the way (journalism school, drama academy), but even these add to what I'm doing now: I'm a professor of Renaissance Drama. I always wanted to work with writing (creative and analytical), and was always interested in the arts; however, putting my interests together was difficult for me, for some reason. For a time I was depressed about academia, but over time I realized that I can make my work a living art and not merely a dry intellectual exercise. I'm also branching out into screenwriting and am trying to be more involved with music, on the side. However, it all connects!
2. Coolest thing I've done? Hmmmm. Maybe my semester in Hungary, right after the fall of the Berlin Wall. I got involved in the political scene and the cultural changes in eastern Europe, and it was very very exciting. However, 1990 was a long time ago now....
3. Something I want to do before I die....Write a novel. Get married?
--Rachel

Anonymous said...

Dawn it was absolutely fabulous to see you the other day. It was great to see everyone. Chris Mac -sorry to have missed you
Doing what I thought I would? Yes and no, when I realized I was not going to be starring on broadway or singing pop music this was the next obvious thing and I LOVE it
Coolest thing I have done - there are two "married" the woman of my dreams (who loves your blog by the way) and had bariatric surgery - next sky diving. In the adventuresome category I have parasailed
Something I want to do before I die: retire : ) See above - sky dive, own a motorcycle and visit the American Northwest (canyon lands etc)
Dunkin donuts or Starbucks - neither. can't eat sweets anymore (never really care for domuts anyway) and am not a coffee drinker

JT said...

1. Are you doing what you thought you would be doing?

In High School, I wanted to be an astronaut. Not being able to stomach flight kinda kiboshed that. However, I've enjoyed being a tech geek and now working with people to get things done in the geek world. I always wanted to be married and have kids, so that has been great.

2. What's the coolest thing you've done or have happened to you so far?

(which book, Dawn?)

I'd say having a character named after me and acknowledged in Vengeance of Dragons by Holly Lisle was pretty cool. Also, I've been able to meet two of my favorite science fiction authors in person for an extended conversation. It's not "cool" but as far as meaning, being named to my fraternity's "honor society" was very meaningful and a true honor.

3. At this point, we're all pushing 40 (gasp!), name something you want to do before you die.

Travel a bit outside of the U.S.
Be good enough to earn a black belt in karate (only a yellow right now)
Learn guitar
Organize my comic books (about 8000 and still growing)


4. Dunkin' Donuts or Starbucks?

Dunkin'. Don't like coffee, never have.

Unknown said...

How amusing! couldn't have pictured you with 5 kids,and here I am in Virginia Homeschooling 4. The oldest is 10 the youngest 7 months. Rachel told me about seeing you at the reunion brunch and remembered we were friends in Junior High, then my folks moved to Georgia.
1.Am I doing what I thought I would be doing? Never expected to be homeschooling, always new I wanted to be home with my kids, rather than having someone else raise them.
2.Coolest thing (besides the rugged husband abd cherubic kids?) After graduating from Georgia Tech with a Mechanical Engineering Degree, I worked in a Cement Plant in Germany for a French company. OK, so the job wasn't that great but the vacations were. (Plus I met rugged husband)
3.Something I would like to do before I die? ??!! Get my pictures in photo albums?!
4.Depends which one is in the Bookstore, and then a Chai please.

Unknown said...

Love the blog, would love to hear more about homeschooling FIVE, and all the logistics of actually doing it!
1. Are you doing what you thought you would be doing? Probably not... i don't know, i didn't plan this far ahead!
2. What's the coolest thing you've done or have happened to you so far?
Having a homebirth after a cesarean, and living in Manhattan - 92-02 so many amazing memories.
3. At this point, we're all pushing 40 (gasp!), name something you want to do before you die.
Meet my grandchildren, Travel lots.
4. Dunkin' Donuts or Starbucks?
Dunkin' white hot chocolate